Friday, May 23, 2008

Smoke On The Mountain Homecoming

Blane surprised me by taking me to Allenberry Playhouse to see "Smoke On The Mountain Homecoming." I was so excited! Three years ago we saw "Smoke On The Mountain" and I thought it was the best, most enjoyable musical comedy I'd ever seen. We both agreed last night's performance still came in second to the first, but we enjoyed it SO Much! It's full of hilarity and mixed with Blue Grass Gospel music and tidbits of heartwarming stories. The setting is Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, a small rural church in 1945 "where the doors of Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church swing on hinges of welcome!" It involves a singing family, except for one daughter who doesn't sing but "signs" the words, which is hysterical because she obviously comes up with her own signs at times and exaggerates them. I would HIGHLY recommend seeing both "Smoke On The Mountain" and "Smoke On The Mountain Homecoming" if it's ever in your area! It will give you an "All Is Right With The World" kind of feeling for the evening and you will feel so refreshed. I'd see it again and again!
Blane drives by the Playhouse on his way to work and back and saw what was playing. What a wonderful anniversary present from him! He wanted to first take me to J.C.'s Country Cafe right near the playhouse and walk around the beautiful pond in Boiling Springs...but the cafe was closed so we ended up at a Red Robin eating burgers...which was fine too! Maybe another day we can take a walk around the pond and feed the ducks.
We picked up Isaac at my sister's a little after 10pm. Wendy and all the kids with Isaac on her lap were sitting together on the couch looking at a book. What a sweet picture that was! I didn't get a picture, but just try to picture it in your mind and say "ahhhhh how sweet!" 'cause it really was.
Well our doors here at Oak Lane aren't much to look at, but they do "swing on hinges of welcome" if you're ever in the area. :)

1 comment:

Pete Johnson said...

Hi Brenda and Blane,

Belated Happy Anniversary wishes from Sandy and I! My mom sent your blog address to us today and it's good to hear what's been going on and see those cute pictures of your family, too.

I'll have to check and see if Smoke on the Mountain is on DVD anywhere.

Today I took Avi to a lake where we always caught rainbow trout last summer, but today we had no bites. It's been an unusually cold spring, we're about 2 1/2 wks. behind, no doubt due to global warming (heh,heh), so the fish are probably just too lethargic just yet. Avi caught a nice pan-size trout with his little net a few days ago at a local lake. So at least we've had some luck.

More Later, -Pete